Resources

Sunday, July 26, 2009

More than Enough

"After this Jesus went to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, also called the Sea of Tiberias.* A large crowd kept following him, because they saw the signs that he was doing for the sick. Jesus went up the mountain and sat down there with his disciples. Now the Passover, the festival of the Jews, was near. When he looked up and saw a large crowd coming towards him, Jesus said to Philip, ‘Where are we to buy bread for these people to eat?’ He said this to test him, for he himself knew what he was going to do. Philip answered him, ‘Six months’ wages* would not buy enough bread for each of them to get a little.’ One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said to him, ‘There is a boy here who has five barley loaves and two fish. But what are they among so many people?’ Jesus said, ‘Make the people sit down.’ Now there was a great deal of grass in the place; so they* sat down, about five thousand in all. Then Jesus took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them to those who were seated; so also the fish, as much as they wanted. When they were satisfied, he told his disciples, ‘Gather up the fragments left over, so that nothing may be lost.’ So they gathered them up, and from the fragments of the five barley loaves, left by those who had eaten, they filled twelve baskets. When the people saw the sign that he had done, they began to say, ‘This is indeed the prophet who is to come into the world.’ " - John 6:1-14

After having been gone for several weeks I found myself so grateful to be at home and sleeping in my own bed, enjoying my creature comforts. But after a few days - 3 to be exact - I found myself irritated with all the "stuff" piled up throughout the house. At first I blamed this irritation on the dust bunnies that were no longer hiding under the furniture but living out in the open. Then I began to secretly blame various family members for not helping more in the straightening and cleaning department of the housekeeping. After awhile I began to blame myself for being lazy and unproductive with my life. Then I read the scripture above and listened to God's small still voice in my heart.

During this past few days I have realized how much my life is filled with blessings and how often I lose focus on those blessings. You see, sometimes I see the pile of books on the floor and can only see clutter. I forget about the blessing of eyesight, the blessing of the ability to read, the blessing of the financial wealth that allows me to purchase books for education and pleasure. The list goes on. Sometimes I look at the little knick-knacks on the shelves that need dusting and cleaning and I forget the blessings that they each contain. Like, when one of my children picked out that very special one for my birthday or that one that my husband gave me to tell me how much he loves me or the little collection that was passed on to me by my now deceased grandmother. And the list goes on...

As I have looked upon these many blessings and realized just how much I have been given I am filled with gratitude for God's unending abundance. And I realize that what I am really irritated that I am hoarding all of these blessings so it's time to share the blessings and the abundance of God's love by passing some things on. Isn't that what God asks each of us to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment