Resources

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Going back to God

“Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God.” - Lenny Bruce

Today I had lunch with a friend and then enjoyed some time doing some shopping. As often happens, I ended up in one of those chain-based Christian book stores. As I wandered around the store I found some great bargains - boxes of cards on sale 90% off! Journals and devotionals - only $5! Gifts and knick-knacks for the house, church, or someone else - all on sale! Suddenly I found myself totally bored. And I wasn't sure why.

Maybe it's because I was looking to connect with God in the midst of "church" things. Maybe it's because I realized there was plenty of stuff that was diverting my attention away from God. Maybe it was because I just need to sit and be the person God created me to be. Or maybe, I realized that what I am looking for can not be found anywhere else but in the personal relationship with God and everything else does not measure up to that amazing gift.

Glory, glory to God!


"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments." - Exodus 20:2-6

No comments:

Post a Comment