Resources

Thursday, December 24, 2009

What is Love?

The Bible Dictionary describes “Love” as “the very nature of God”. Love is oftentimes identified as the greatest of the Christian virtues. However, when googled on the internet, many different descriptions for “love” pops up, everything from a love calculator to love songs. But, what does it really mean?

When I think of Love, lots of things come to my mind, my husband, my son, and my close friends. Christmas usually conjures thoughts of Love as we buy special gifts for those we love. There are also many Bible verses concerning Love. One that particularly stands out is John 3:16. The New International Version says, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life”.

Just think… “God gave His One and Only Son.” There truly is no greater love. I guess that I did not really comprehend this until I became a mother of a one and only son. My husband and I prayed for 8 years for a baby. God answered our prayers with the adoption of a precious 6 week old baby boy. I was completely overwhelmed with love for this baby the minute I laid eyes on him and my love for him has grown as each day passes. Prior to motherhood, I thought that I knew about “love”, but there is a much greater expansion to this single simple word when it refers to loving one’s own child. Sacrificing Jesus for Us is evidence of God’s amazingly incredible love for us. God knew when Jesus was born what was planned for Him and, yet God still gave us His Son. The nature of our God is truly a Love that we can just barely comprehend.

Praise be to God.

~ Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment