Resources

Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Peace that Guards my Heart

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7


During Advent, I like to slow down and look back at the year and see where I am spiritually. Are my relationships healthy? Are there any new bad habits? Do my priorities still reflect a Christ-centered life? This is hard if I am being completely honest with myself.

I recently attended a healing service at my church. I was astounded at the number of people who went up to the altar to be anointed and prayed over with hands on them. Some went up two and three times. As I sat in my pew and prayed for those individuals, I realized that I needed to go up, too. For too long I carried a burden that I finally realized I could not ‘fix’. As I prayed at the altar, I left the burden there and immediately felt at peace as I let God take it.

The world has been tough on so many of us this year. If we attempt to deal with it all by ourselves, we quickly are overcome with anxiety, fear or failure. We must remember we are assured that whatever burden we carry, our prayers will be heard, and even when we don’t know what to pray, that the Holy Spirit is pleading for us. (Romans 8:26)

Prayer: Loving Father, thank you for the peace you provide and the promise of eternal life through your Son. May each of us claim the peace in our salvation and respond with shouts of joy and heartfelt worship in our love for Jesus every day. Amen

~ Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment