Resources

Saturday, August 15, 2009

These Shoes were made for Walking!

I've been thinking a lot about shoes lately, more specifically the way I walk in my shoes. I've especially found a lot of comfort in my well-worn slippers with fleece lining even though the temperatures outside have been in the high 80's and low 90's. Don't know why this is, just needing the familiar for some reason. Also I've been remembering those other shoes I have in the piles and closets stashed around the house.

Tucked away in a closet I still have my baby shoes and I am reminded of 1 Peter 2:2-3, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." Just as I was nourished by milk as a human infant, as a newborn Christian I was nourished by the Word of God and by other Christians, and encouraged to grow in my faith.

I have a pair of "Earth" shoes from college days. These shoes have been restitched, reglued and resoled, but they still fit and have served me well for almost 30 years. They bring to my memory the words in 1 Peter 4: 11, "If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." These shoes have served me well and are a reminder that I am called to do the same as I seek to praise and glorify God.

Some of my favorite shoes are high heels, the ones that say "Let’s have a celebration!" Blue ones with a bow on the back, black ones with a ruffle, clear ones with tiny straps. Each time I put on a pair of these shoes I can’t help but smile and think of Psalm 149:3, "Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp," and then I just want to dance for joy!

I have lots of other types of shoes in my closet, shoes for working in the yard and for riding the motorcycle. I have sandals for the beach and for the times I get a pedicure. There are well-worn and hardly-worn shoes. There are special occasion and everyday shoes. But what I've often realized is that each pair has a purpose and when I look them over there is a pattern which emerges and mirrors the various seasons of my Christian walk. I see places where heels are worn, toes scuffed, and dirt has worn its way into the fabric. But what I see beyond all of that is the faithfulness of Christ, as he calls to me each day and says, "Follow me."

What kind of shoes are you wearing?

"for we walk by faith, not by sight--" ~ 2 Corinthians 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment